Frequently Asked Questions about Cologuard
For complete information on Cologuard, please click here.
How to Get Screened with Cologuard
- How can I get screened with Cologuard? Who prescribes this test?
- How can I find a doctor who prescribes Cologuard?
- Is Cologuard available in all U.S. states?
- Is Cologuard available outside the U.S.?
- My doctor gave me a written prescription for Cologuard. What do I do with it?
About Cologuard & Stool DNA Technology
- How does Cologuard work?
- How do you get DNA out of stool?
- Why does Cologuard use stool samples and not blood samples?
- Is Cologuard a genetic test?
- How was Cologuard developed?
- Is Cologuard FDA approved?
- How effective is Cologuard?
- Should colonoscopy be used in addition to Cologuard?
- How often does Cologuard need to be used?
- Is Cologuard included in the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) guidelines? What does this mean?
- Is Cologuard included in the Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) quality measures? Why does this matter?
Who Can Be Screened with Cologuard? Who Cannot?
- Who can get screened with Cologuard?
- If one of my family members had colon cancer, is this test right for me?
- Can I use Cologuard if I have hemorrhoids, menstrual period or blood in the stool?
- If I have mobility issues, will I have a problem with the test?
Preparing for the Test
- Do I need to do anything to prepare for this test?
- Do I need to stop taking any medications prior to using the test?
- Are there any dietary restrictions for this test?
- What comes in the test kit? Where will I get it?
- Can Cologuard be taken in my doctor's office?
- What if I don't have a permanent address?
- Can Cologuard be mailed to a PO Box?
- How should I send the collection kit back to the lab?
- If I schedule a UPS pick-up, do I need to be at home at that time?
Collecting Your Sample
- I received a kit but it is damaged (or missing a part). What should I do?
- I received a kit but I made a mistake collecting my sample. What should I do?
- I could not mail my test for a few days after taking it. Is that okay?
- How will I know if my sample is “normal”?
- How should I store the sample before returning it to the lab?